Making Decorative Glass Bottles & Jars
Recycling bottles and jars is a great way to do some good for the planet. But having a sustainable mind doesn’t just mean putting them in the right bin. Why not bring out your creative side and turn your recyclables into some beautiful decorative glass containers?
There are endless ways you can put decorative glass bottles or jars to use. You could create candle holders, soap holders, hanging lights, bottle lamps or flower vases. Whatever you want to make, this article will give you some pointers on how to clean, colour and decorate your bottles.
How To Prepare And Perfect Decorative Glass Bottles & Jars
Before decorating your bottles, you’ll want to make sure you have a good blank canvas to work with. So how do you prepare them?
- Firstly, peel off all the labels on the bottle
- Rinse the inside thoroughly with hot water and washing up liquid
- If the labels have left behind some paper or glue marks, use hot water and a scrubber to clear them away.
Once you have cleaned the glass container, you can start thinking about what you can add. If you’d like to colour your glass bottle or jars, you can do it a few ways.
- Spray paint is a quick and easy way to colour the outside of the glass
- Fill a bottle with paint to colour the inside
- Acrylic paints are perfect for long term use
- Paint your glass with bonding glue and roll in glitter for a stunning effect.
However, you might need to bear in mind that your bottles will be opaque if you paint them all over. This means the natural light will struggle to get through the glass, so this might not be the best method if you’re making candles!
So, with your glass painted, how can you add more decoration? There are a few methods you can play with.
Here Is Our Top Ten Bottle & Jar Ideas For You
- Using glue and some yarn, you can wrap portions of your bottle up to create a rustic, hand-crafted look. Try this around the neck or middle of the bottle
- Alternatively, you could use tape or a glue gun to create unique abstract patterns. Apply these to your bottle before adding a new layer of paint. Then simply peel off the tape or glue.
- Speaking of glue, why not use it to attach beads or paper decorations. You could use beads to spell out some letters, making for a personalised gift.
- Keep it simple and use some fancy labels to announce the contents of each jar or bottle
- Colourfull stickers always look nice, especially for children’s works stations and stationary holders
- Why not create a beautiful set of tea light holders and let the clean glass container do the work for you
- If you have any spare fabric and glue, you can try your hand at wrapping the jars and bottles in fabric and create a vintage set of containers.
- Save up about 10-15 jars and create some gorgeous marquee lighting for your garden or outbuilding
- Add a little nature to your conservatory with twig vases
- Turn your jar into an adventure and create a time capsule; make sure and hide it somewhere safe.
It’s easy to get started with decorative glass bottles and jars. A few simple tricks are all you need to create endless patterns, designs and creative ideas. Well, a few simple tricks and some empty glass bottles.
It’s up to you how you put your decorative glass bottles to use. But a candle or flower holder are two of the simplest uses, to begin with. But if you have a bottle cutter, you’ll have even more options.
Good For Food
Glass containers can also be reused to store a wide range of foods. Moreover, being able to accumulate wet or dry food is a perfect way to save on money, create your own recipes and have a range of ingredients when needed.
Wet Storage Ideas For Bottles & Jars
- Olives in oil
- Peppers in oil
- Leftover tinned foods (store in the fridge to last longer).
Dry Storage Ideas For Bottles & Jars
- Fruits and Nuts
- Salt & sugar
- Lentils, barley, quinoa, rye and grits
- Rolled oats
Get Ready For Home Crafts With The Bottle Jar Store
If you need glass jars, bottles, lids or cork stoppers for your next craft project look no further than The Bottle Jar Store. You’ll find affordable glassware in every shape and size. Give our full range a browse for inspiration, and feel free to contact us today for more information.